Saturday, May 5, 2012

Identity Theft: Me Changing Me

Tons of decisions lately!

The biggest one so far has been a drastic shift in my major.  All my life, I've considered myself a writer.  It was part of my identity.  I was a word-smith.  It was what I was good at, what I loved, what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and that was final.

Then, I took a 2-D art class this past semester.  I've always had a part time interest in art, drawing my characters and painting every once in a very great while but this was different.  I would leave class full of colors and compositions.  I learned to blend colors, to place together to cause the exact right reaction in a viewer.  And suddenly, I discovered that I was becoming bilingual and that words were no longer my only love.

As amazing as this new knowledge was, it also proved difficult as I considered changing my major to a focus on art.  But I was a writer! That was part of who I was.  It took some time before I could accept this art passion.  I pondered and painted and prayed... A LOT!  I was two years into school.  What was I doing changing focus now?

In the end, the colors won out.  I accepted my dual identity was writer-artist, got inspired by the possibilities of that combination.  And I chose to go for a Bachelor in Fine Arts, thus adding a year to my education, and endless art classes to my itinerary.  It has forced me to take both spring and summer classes as well as a ton of art classes in the fall.  It is taking time and effort and lots of research.  But I love what I'm getting back.  I will always be a storyteller: now I just have more ways to tell my stories. 

It's an exciting ride and I'll keep posting.  I'm sure there will be lots more words and colors to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment